PLM is used to manage all the products of an organization throughout their entire lifecycle. To do this, you need a product repository that can:
- Provide a global vision of the company’s products, and;
- Provide intersecting views suitable for a specific type of user (marketing, R&D, design, production, customer service).
Challenges and solutions
The primary challenges to this kind of approach are:
- Multiple views and consistency
There is no single product view for all company users, but a number of different views.
What is the best way to provide each user with the appropriate product view while managing overall consistency?
- Uniformity and technology
Many companies do not manage one but several types of products.
How can products associated with different technological sectors be managed uniformly?
- Modification dynamics
Product definitions are not static, they change constantly.
How can this ongoing dynamic be controlled and what is the best way to ensure the modifcation traceability and history?
- Documentation management
Products are generally documented with a wide variety of other documents.
How can these documents be filed and located ? How can their contents be validated?
- Multi-business data management
Complex products are, by definition, a combination of data from various sectors (mechanical, electrical, electronic, software …)
How can the global configuration of such a product be efficiently and effectively governed?
PCO INNOVATION'S SOLUTIONS
PCO Innovation will advise and accompany you in the implementation of PLM best practices:
PLM can be used to meet several needs arising from these challenges:
- PLM can be used to manipulate concepts inherent in the needs of various business users and provide appropriate views of their product: “as specified,” “as designed,” “as planned,” “as manufactured”, and "as maintained.”
- PLM can be used to classify concepts that can be manipulated based on how they are organized or classified (taxonomy) in a given technological field, while simultaneously managing several taxonomies.
- PLM has several powerful tools available for change management, and they can be used to accommodate a wide variety of change scenarios.
- Documents with a relatively stable structure can be automatically generated from information that is directly linked to products (providing strong coupling between data management and document contents). Other documents can be attached “as is” to the products they represent.
Value added by PCO Innovation
- Unbiased recommendation of the best technological option.
- For such a project and its execution, it is essential to design a change management plan in advance.
- Collaboration must be managed as a project based on business goals and objectives.
- The preparation of a solution focused on the challenges involved.
- Out-of-the-box approach based on our technical partnerships with PLM software leaders.
- The availability of a large international workforce in a company built on a human scale.